SEND Information

SEND Information

Our school SENDCo is: Miss A Lowes

At Wynyard Church of England Primary School we believe that every child, whatever his or her ability, should have the opportunity to access every area of the curriculum to enable him / her to achieve personal potential academically, socially and emotionally and fully participate in school life.

Occasionally, children may experience difficulties with learning or may struggle with other aspects of their progress and development.  These children may have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) which may require school to engage with parents and other agencies to provide additional support.

Please see our SEND policy and the additional information provided below.

If you have any feedback regarding our SEND provision, please speak to our SENDCo or headteacher. Any complaints will be dealt with as quickly and efficiently as possible.  These concerns are either sorted out informally, often as a result of discussions, or become formal complaints. The period of consideration will vary with the gravity and complexity of the complaint and the urgency with which it needs to be settled.

Further information can be found in our Complaints policy which can be found in our School Policies section.

SEND Information Report


Wynyard CE Primary School is committed to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and /or disabilities and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. This is in reference to ‘section 69 of the Children and Families Act 2014’, section 6 of the Special Educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 – 25 years, regulation 51 and schedule 1 of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014.

Our aim is to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The main areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction (those with Autism Spectrum Disorder and those with Speech, Language and Communication needs)
  • Cognition and Learning (those with learning difficulties relating to English and Maths skills and those with specific, severe or profound learning difficulties)
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties (those with a social, emotional or mental health need which impacts on their learning)
  • Sensory and/or Physical (those with sensory needs, hearing or visual impairments and physical difficulties)

What is the Local Offer?

The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this date, Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25. The LA refer to this as the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?

Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report’.

Please read the 13 questions below for more information about the Special Education Needs Information Report for Wynyard CE Primary School.

Question 1

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

The Class teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) know as necessary.
  • Contributing to writing targets/ Support Plans for those children for whom this is necessary, sharing and reviewing these with parents and planning for the next term.
  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
  • Ensuring that any agreed resources that may have been recommended for your child are in place.

The SENDCo / Inclusion Manager- Miss A Lowes

Responsible for:

  • Supporting with the development and review of the Trust’s SEND policy
  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are
    i) involved in supporting your child’s learning;
    ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting;
    iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing or organising specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Melrose Learning Trust link Trustee – Mrs K Brownlees

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has SEND.

The SEND Governor – Mr J Hunter

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has SEND.

School contact telephone number – 01740 555005

Question 2

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

a) Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies and/or resources (which may be suggested by the SENDCo or an outside agency) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • That your child’s progress and attainment have been monitored, suggesting that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning in one or more areas and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

b) School support intervention:

This may be:

  • Run in the classroom or in other areas of school.
  • Run by a teacher or a Teaching Assistant (TA).
  • Delivered 1:1 to your child, or to a group of children who may have similar needs.

Interventions that we deliver in school cover a range of knowledge and skills across the different areas of SEND, including phonics and reading, numeracy skills, fine and gross motor work, comprehension skills, speech and language work, emotional wellbeing support and social skills.

c) Specialist groups run by outside agencies

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means they have been identified by the SENDCo/ class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from services or agencies such as:

  • Educational Psychology
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Outreach teams such as ASD, Cognition and Learning
  • CAMHs
  • Alliance (Mental Health Support)
  • Specialist hearing-impaired and visually-impaired teachers

What could happen:

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support. Together with advice for the home setting, these recommendations will then be put in place within the school setting to support your child further.

d) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe and complex and lifelong, and are difficult to meet with the school’s own resources.

This is usually provided via Local Authority top-up funding or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individualised teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the ‘Panel of Professionals’ will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the individual/small group support your child will receive, how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Question 3

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school? 

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

  • If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/ Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo).
  • The school SEND Governor can also be contacted for support.

Question 4

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • plan any additional support your child may need
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

Question 5

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning? 

The school budget is used to support children with SEND. Additional ‘High Needs Funding’ can be applied for where appropriate.

  • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

◦ the children getting extra support already

◦ the children needing extra support

◦ the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.

◦ the child’s view will be sought informally and for review meetings; this may not always be possible with very young children / children with delayed development.

  • For children requiring additional funding provided by the local authority in order to meet their needs, whether through top-up funding or an EHCP, the school identify the support they require on a costed provision map.

Question 6

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

School provision

  • Teaching Assistants
  • Breakfast Club / Tea club
  • School Clubs / Coaches
  • Administration Staff

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy

Question 7

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with a SEND and what training do they have?

The SENDCO’S job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Speech and language difficulties and hearing impairments.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team service.

Question 8

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

Question 9

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term in reading, writing and maths.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end Year 2 and Year 6) children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests. This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Children may have a support plan / personal targets which will be reviewed, and a future plan made.
  • Teachers meet with SENDCo on a termly basis as part of SEND pupil progress meetings.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in by monitoring interventions.

Question 10

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you by the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal progress targets / support plans will be reviewed with your involvement.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

Question 11

How is Wynyard CE Primary School accessible to children with SEND? 

  • The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.
  • The school is on two levels, each with easy access and double doors.
  • There is a lift for those who require it.
  • There are 2 disabled toilets.
  • We ensure, wherever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.

Question 12

How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Targets and outside agency reports will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

In Year 6:

  • The SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of their secondary school.
  • Your child will take part in focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

Question 13

What Emotional and Social Development support do we have for a child with a SEND?

We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have emotional and social development needs that will require support in school.

  • The emotional health and well-being of all our pupils is very important to us.
  • We have a dedicated member of staff for mental health and wellbeing who works in liaison with the SENDco to support with emotional difficulties.
  • We have a robust Child Protection Policy in place; we follow National & LA Guidelines.
  • We have a robust Behaviour Policy in place.
  • The Head teacher, senior leaders, teachers and all staff continually monitor the emotional health and well-being of all our pupils.
  • We are an Anti-bullying school.

Local Offer

Please click below to view the local offer from Stockton Local Authority.

Stockton’s Local Offer